Sunday, August 16, 2009

Zeus

On Saturday I went to the humane society, where I walked Zeus and had several firsts.

Zeus was a Great Dane/Boxer mix. At seven months old, he weighed in at a cool 97 pounds. I hadn't ever walked a dog that big, so I checked with the front desk. Any issues? Nah. He's a sweetie.

And so he was. Big, friendly (in a cool sort of way), gentle, he was easy to walk. In fact, I could walk him with one finger through the leash handle.

So, what were the firsts?

First dog that big.


First dog markedly bigger than the German Shepherd who guards the helicopter company down the street from the humane society. The shepherd looked at Zeus and kinda froze. Then he hunkered down. Then he rushed the fence anyway, making himself as big as possible.


First recognition. The family of the woman who donated Zeus for adoption drove by while I was walking him. They stopped in the street, rolled down a window, and asked, "Is that Zeus?"

First time I'd seen so many people smitten with one dog (well, one non-puppy). I thought Zeus was nice enough, but two teenage girls in the lobby melted when they saw him and threw themselves on him, hugging and kissing. So did a four year old girl. So did an older woman. My wife kinda melted when I described him, etc. Maybe it's a girl thing.

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment